Statement on LGBTQ+ Affirmation
Church on Main is an LGBTQ+* affirming faith community where we proclaim that God blesses and is revealed through LGBTQ+ identities and expressions of love. Not only are all queer people loved by God, but God loves that which makes them queer. As such, we rejoice at the ways that God shows up in the lives of our LGBTQ+ siblings, and we celebrate the ways the God of love shows up in the love between and among them. As an enactment of this belief, we welcome, include, and affirm LGBTQ+ people into all levels of participation in our faith community.
What this statement means for us
We want to be completely clear about what this means for us by answering a few questions from ChurchClarity.org:
- Will Church on Main hire LGBTQ+ people for any ministry role? Yes
- Will Church on Main’s clergy officiate a wedding for LGBTQ+ people? Yes
- Will Church on Main ordain LGBTQ+ people (or recommend for ordination)? Yes
- Are there any LGBTQ+ people on Church on Main’s leadership team? Yes
* lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, asexual, pansexual, nonbinary, and others not yet designated
Approved by the Church on Main board on July 22nd, 2019.
The Receipts: These Are More than Words
– We have received a “Verified Clear: Affirming” score from Church Clarity, indicating we have successfully made efforts to be public about our LGBTQ+ & women affirming theology & policies.
– The Rainbow Chorale of Delaware performed their first concert in Middletown at Church on Main in 2018. All proceeds went towards local Queer Student Alliances in Middletown.
– We are the only church in the MOT area that flies the LGBTQ+ Pride and Black Lives Matter flags. Both were torn down, burned, and displayed on the street during summer 2020. We did not let fear stop us from doing what we feel is right, so we continue to fly both flags.
– In partnership with Friendship House we have a clothing supply that is available for any who need it, including transgender and nonbinary people who are looking for a new wardrobe.