As we seek to live out the beliefs professed in our Statement on LGBTQ+ Affirmation, we are offering 4 virtual events throughout Pride Month 2020 (aka June). All events will occur through Church on Main’s Facebook.
- Building Effective LGBTQ+ Affirming Ministries: Some Practical Considerations for Ministry Leaders
- A live workshop
- Thursday, June 4, 2020, 7pm
- My Faith & LGBTQ+ Story: Panel Discussion
- Thursday, June 11, 2020, 7pm
- We Affirm You: Video
- Thursday, June 18, 2020, 7pm
- Finding Your Affirming Family: Panel Discussion
- Live event
- Time TBA
Starting June 15 and 17th, we will also be offering a virtual book study on “How to be an Antiracist” by Dr. Ibram X. Kendi. The book incorporates Kimberlé Crenshaw’s concept of “intersectionality” and examines how racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia intersect.
Building Effective LGBTQ+ Affirming Ministries
Our first event for Pride Month will take place Thursday, June 4th 2020 via Church on Main’s Facebook live at 7pm. In this one-hour presentation, Brent O’Neill (he/him/his), our Pastoral Intern, will cover the following content:
- Defining our terms: Affirming vs. Non-affirming 101
- The task of clarity for affirming churches
- Creating a public statement rooted in affirming theology
- LGBTQ+ affirming ministries focused on straight-cisgender folks
- LGBTQ+ affirming ministries focused on LGBTQ+ folks
Brent would like to make this as practical as possible for ministry leaders! Please send relevant questions through Church on Main’s Facebook, or through the Contact page on our website. He will also answer questions posted in the comments of the Facebook live video.
If you would like live feedback on your ministry’s public statements & events, please submit them by noon the day of the event so they can be incorporated into the presentation.